Sunday, September 9, 2012

Personal Intro for Moi (lengthy)

Posted by Laura at Sunday, September 09, 2012
Hello all out in the blogosphere! I'd like to present myself, Laura, for your consideration for the position of Kittens and Kicks blog writer. Yes? I'm in? YESSS *fist pump*

So, recently I moved in with my boyfriend due to some unfortunate circumstances with my apartment situation. It's a lot of getting used to, especially considering 95% of my stuff (clothing included) is in a storage unit. In addition, the kitchen is woeful, the main big problem being that there is no oven. The kitchen appliances available to me are a microwave, a small toaster oven, and two stovetop burners. This is supposed to be a full kitchen in a standard single family home.

To me, the kitchen is where my self-power originates; it is the home for my soul. To have a poorly equipped kitchen (let me not even mention the fact that the seasonings are old and questionable beyond measure, basic implements are missing or caked with years of grime...) to me makes me feel like I have way to ground myself, to feel settled. So, in order to accustom myself to my new surroundings, I have tried to make the best out of it.

Everything that I would normally cook in the oven - i.e. everything - I have downsized. I love baking more than anything, so not being able to bake was going to kill me. So I have downsized, making cakes in 7" round pans (disposables from Dollar Tree - 4 for $1). Also doing a lot of grilling! Can't make a full-size pizza? I made a margherita pizza on the grill last week with a packaged dough mix, and it turned out great. I currently have a cinnamon apple cake in the oven... Since the batter is meant for an 8" or 9" pan, I ended up making two 7"s... probably because I put more apple in than I should have. (Over the past few years, I have been embracing fruit-based baked goods, though I am still a chocolate girl at the core.)

In short, this whole cooking and baking thing has really reminded me how I have a good deal of ingenuity. Now these challenges, while first discouraging, have really given me something to get excited about - like how am I going to make this work? Thankfully, my boyfriend is willing to put up with some of the oddball things I want to make - there aren't many people, let alone men, who would feel like grilling a pizza on a little 20" charbroil grill. Hell, I wouldn't have considered it unless I was forced into this situation.

So please, look forward to more recipes and cooking/baking excursions from me. I am planning on making shrimp pasta in a foil package tonight. Like I said, looking for new things - new recipes, new challenges. This blog too will be a challenge - especially in the "trying to not write a novel". Please bear with me - I will try and lessen my word vomit as time goes on.

1 comments:

Ally on September 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM said...

Mom has started cooking in foil packages. It always turns out great. I just wish she wouldn't put tomato sauce on my chicken.

Post a Comment

 

Kittens and Kicks Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos